Thursday 26 April 2012

W for Wind power


no windpwer sign
The topic of wind power provides some real opportunities for NIMBYism when it dares to venture into a person's locality. All round the country there are signs fighting the possibility of wind farms.

And what a clever word “farm” is  – nice and cosy...not as unfriendly as stations or facilities. 

There are so many signs about it is almost tempting to have a sign against signs against things, they are such blots on the landscape! 

This from Wikipedia says it all for me, complex though it all is:
wind farm
“Wind power, as an alternative to fossil fuels, is plentiful, renewable, widely distributed, clean, produces no greenhouse gas emissions during operation, and uses little land. In operation, the overall cost per unit of energy produced is similar to the cost for new coal and natural gas installations. The construction of wind farms is not universally welcomed, but any effects on the environment from wind power are generally much less problematic than those of any other power source.”

3 comments:

  1. Hear hear. The big ones are apparently quite noisy but I think there is so much potential for people to generate their own on a small scale. I think that they are visually stunning and don't detract from the landscape in the way electricity pylons do.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan!

    First time visiting your blog! Very interesting topics!

    I haven't done much research regarding the subject matter; however, I am aware of what wind farms are and wind power!

    I like the idea of generating energy that way; wind power is an available, powerful alternative!

    I will be back to read more of your post!

    I think I'll enjoy following you!
    Have a great day and hope you will stop by!
    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its my great pleasure to visit your blog and to enjoy your great posts here. I like it a lot. I can feel that you paid much attention for those articles, as all of them make sense and are very useful.  reformas en zaragoza

    ReplyDelete