Sunday 15 April 2012

M for Monitors


Energy Monitors are small wireless devices that hook up to your electricity supply to help you spot energy guzzling devices and activities, so you can cut back. They don't save you anything directly - it's about becoming more aware of habits. 

It is thought a monitor can help you slash 5-15% off your bill. This is all due to how you change your consumption once this has been highlighted for you - an energy monitor can help you get a better understanding of how you are currently using electricity and which of the appliances in your home are the most power hungry and how much CO2 you're emitting. Read more on the Which website.

Monitor picture from jugglefrogs.co.uk

Another of those eco devices that I probably should use but haven’t. I am not even sure having read both sides of the argument if I should turn off my broadband at night but I do turn off lights all the time as I go along at least and am aware of the kettle water and only boiling what I need and I don’t have a dishwasher. I think I would get so obsessive with a meter and it would make me miserable – does anyone use one?

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right, Susan - it would be very easy to get obsessive about such a monitor. It's a bit like people who spend all their holidays with one eye glued to their camcorder, they don't experience their holiday first hand. I suspect with an energy monitor, too much time would be spent checking it instead of just getting on with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes those camcorder people - and they never seem to engage with the rest of us either...perhaps that is why they do it of course!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I'm trying to find information on power monitor and this has definitely helped me in this process.

    ReplyDelete