Friday 13 July 2012

Five books that have made an impression


I’ve just had a blogging Booker Award presented to me by Rosalind from Rosalind Adam is writing in the rain My task is to list out my top five favourite books of all time and then pass the award on to five more bloggers. Ho hum...so many to choose...and what comes to mind are the ones that have left a real imprint on my memory.

Let's start with Annie Proulx's Shipping News - fantastic gritty descriptions. Forget the film which was a very poor rendition. read the book!

Got to have Rose Tremain's - well would love to choose one of her really intricate and deep books but I loved "The Road Home" for its perspective of east european migrant workers.

Not all men - next is William Trevor's "Felicia's Journey" - a rare full length novel as opposed to short stories - also brilliant. The film version of this with Bob Hoskins is surprisingly good too. 


Oh another man - Jim Crace and "Being Dead" - gruesome in some ways and poignant in another - this traces the life of a couple back from their dead bodies on the beach as they putrify. Is better than it sounds..
Finally - and again not a laugh a minute but it has to be Manil Suri's "The Death of Vishnu" - what an insight into status and servitude. A must read book.


I'm going to pass this award on to the following bloggers:
[Apologies if you've already received one.]
Ron Easton Dads Unlimited

and Dee


4 comments:

  1. Hello Susan - Rosalind awarded me too, so I thought I'd check out everyone else's too. I've read The Shipping News (and it'll probably be on of my favorites too) and also The Road Home. Rose Tremain is a fabulous writer. I'll check out the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan, but I'll have to decline. See tab at the top of my page 'Tags-Awards'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of those. Rosalind awarded me too, but I'm just being slow in putting it up. I'm off to the library later to pick up some of Rosalind's books, so I'll be looking for The Shipping News too!

    ReplyDelete